San Francisco – Full-Time Paralegal
Bassi Edlin Huie & Blum (BEHB) is currently seeking a Paralegal to join our team in San Francisco, CA 94111.
Who We Are:
- Bassi Edlin Huie & Blum is a defense firm of trial specialists offering the unique blend of large-firm experience and small-firm agility. From our offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, we help clients confront and overcome a wide variety of complex claims in state and federal court throughout California. We are adept at handling high-stakes environmental cases involving cutting-edge legal precedent, as well as advanced scientific and engineering concepts.
- Our attorneys take effective depositions, produce winning law & motion work, and use the latest technology to gain an edge in complex litigation. To prepare for trial, we work with the right experts to develop strong defense strategies and employ talented artists to craft compelling visual exhibits. https://www.behblaw.com/
We are currently accepting resumes for a litigation paralegal in our San Francisco office. Paralegals are needed to support the firm’s attorneys with the critical work of preparing for and managing litigation. Applicants must be able to meet a billing requirement of 137.5 hours per month. Experience handling casualty cases is necessary. Must have experience with online case management systems such as Westlaw and Case Anywhere. Ability to manage legal research, standard discovery requests, expert activities and deposition calendar for complex multiparty cases. Prolaw experience is preferred.
About The Role:
- Obtains, reviews, analyzes and summarizes legal documentation pertaining to cases
- Schedules depositions and other meetings with clients, witnesses, experts, opposing counsel, court reporters, and others
- Identifies, locates, and evaluates potential experts and sends expert packages to parties for review
- Tracks requests for documents and follows up on progress
- Regularly reviews files and proactively works to move cases forward
- Documents files and updates client coordinator when necessary regarding status of cases
- Participates in all aspects of trial preparation as required by client coordinator
- Prepares draft documents
- Performs research pertaining to legal issues and precedents related to cases
- Performs clerical duties such as typing and filing to the extent required to produce nonbillable work product or assure proper organization of case files
- Enters billable time into computer daily
- Meets a minimum billing requirement of 137.5 hours per month net of write-downs (1650 per year). This requirement is not reduced by any paid or unpaid time off, mandatory training, or the performance of any nonbillable functions. Such time off, training or performance of nonbillable functions are not counted toward the minimum billing requirement
- Ensures all functions are performed in exact accordance with applicable client guidelines available on the firm Intranet
- Remains flexible and open to requests for support or assistance outside of the scope of this job description and to other duties as directed by the client coordinators
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Knowledge of the rules and filing requirements for California Federal and State courts
- Organized, deadline-drive, and detail-oriented to ensure timely, effective and accurate performance of job duties
- Accurate typing ability of 50 wpm and comprehensive computer and office equipment experience
- Work may require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position and to meet financial goal requirements. Applicable overtime pay will be provided with prior approval by the client coordinator and/or office administrator.
- Work requires sitting, bending, stooping, computer keyboarding and continuous use of the hands, telephone contact, reading, and may require lifting of 25-50 lbs. or more.
- Occasional local travel may be required to collect records and information at offsite locations or file documents with courts. All travel expenses will be reimbursed.
- The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Required Skills And Abilities
- Education: Bachelor’s degree and paralegal certification
- Or Bachelor’s degree and law degree
- Bachelor’s degree and candidate who is currently attending ABA-accredited law school
What We Offer:
- Compensation, including annual salary based upon relevant experience and education
- Comprehensive benefits package
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Office Administrator Shauna Sinnathamby via email at [email protected].
Equal Opportunity Employer