BEHB attorneys provide counsel and advocacy to clients across the cannabis industry supply chain; from companies that cultivate, process, distribute, deliver, and sell state-licensed cannabis to those who invest in this burgeoning industry. BEHB also works with the wide array of businesses that supply the industry with goods and services, such as raw materials, packaging, technology, real estate, and security; and we represent both buyers and sellers in purchase agreements of cannabis businesses. Cannabis law intersects with virtually every major area of practice across the firm. Our deep experience in defending clients in business litigation, employment law, environmental law, personal injury, product liability, and trucking and transportation, makes BEHB uniquely equipped to help clients in the cannabis industry identify key issues, devise innovative legal strategies, and avoid risk.
Our firm understands the nuances of California state and federal laws and regulatory compliance issues that govern the cannabis industry, such as Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA); RCRA, the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018, Bank Secrecy Act, anti-money laundering (AML) statutes, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and the more expansive 2018 Farm Bill that allows more broad cultivation of hemp; as well as regulations established by the Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC), California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Department of Agriculture (USDA), and Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Areas of Specialization
Construction Law and Real Estate
- Zoning, water rights, and land use
- Leasing and landlord/tenant matters
- Civil forfeiture risk
- Construction defect claims
Employment and Labor Law
- Non-compete and trade secrets
- Executive employment agreements and severance agreements
- National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)
- Workplace compliance and training
- Licenses to cultivate, manufacture, distribute, deliver, and sell adult-use marijuana, medical marijuana, and hemp in a retail environment
- Assessment of business and individual risks under federal and state cannabis-related laws, regulations, and guidance
- Administrative matters pertaining to licensure
- Pollution, groundwater contamination, and exposure claims
- Smoke taint and other wildfire-related claims
- Civil matters, such as RICO actions, breach of commercial contracts, fraud/misrepresentation and partnership/shareholder disputes
- Product liability claims related to alleged defects and failure to warn
- Employment claims
- Personal injury claims related to transport of cannabis-related products and raw materials
BEHB’s Cannabis Law Team includes practice chair Michael E. Gallagher, partner Tiffiny Walls-Fox, and associates Ryan S. Cowan and Kaveh Newmen. Please contact Michael E. Gallagher at [email protected] or 213-412-2666 to learn more about how we can help you navigate the laws and regulations governing the cannabis industry in California.