Jeremy D. Huie concentrates his complex litigation practice in the areas of asbestos and product liability. He handles all aspects of defending his clients, including roles as first chair trial counsel and National Coordinating Counsel. In addition to trying cases in California, Jeremy has been admitted pro hac vice to serve as first chair trial counsel in other states.
- March 2017: Jeremy obtained a defense verdict for a roofing mastic manufacturer in a living mesothelioma case filed in Los Angeles County. The jury found that Jeremy’s client was not negligent, was not strictly liable, and did not engage in fraudulent conduct warranting punitive damages. Judge C. Edward Simpson presided over the preference trial in Pasadena.
- June 2014: Jeremy obtained a defense verdict for a forklift manufacturer in a living mesothelioma case filed in Alameda County. The jury found that Jeremy’s client was not negligent and was not a substantial factor in contributing to the plaintiff’s illness. Judge Julia Spain presided over the preference trial in Pleasanton.
Jeremy received a B.A. in 1993 from the University of California, Berkeley and a J.D. in 1997 from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. He earned American Jurisprudence Awards in Legal Writing & Research and in International Commercial Arbitration. Jeremy served as Symposium Editor for the Hastings West-Northwest Journal of Environmental Law and Policy. He clerked for the Office of Regional Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region IX.
Jeremy is the author of the two-volume treatise California Depositions, as well as several published articles, with highlights that include “Removing the Sting from Asbestos Litigation,” published by HarrisMartin, and “Beyond the Gore Factors: What Courts Consider in Allocating CERCLA Section 113 (f) Liability,” which appeared in the Environmental Law Journal. He has spoken at numerous legal seminars on topics including premises liability, legal writing, and use of the internet for legal research. Jeremy taught Legal Writing & Research as an Adjunct Professor at UC Hastings from 2000 through 2006.
Jeremy was selected to Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012; and as a Northern California Super Lawyer in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 for his work in defending clients against product-related personal injury claims.
- Environmental Law
- Product Liability
- Toxic Tort
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1997
- University of California at Berkeley
- B.A. - 1993
- American Jurisprudence Awards in Legal Writing & Research and in International Commercial Arbitration
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Adjunct Professor, Hastings, 2000 to 2006
- Hastings West-Northwest Journal of Environmental Law and Policy, Symposium Editor
- Clerk, Office of Regional Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region IX