Marte J. Bassi specializes in large product liability toxic tort cases and business litigation. Marte has tried several complex commercial cases to verdict, including the first living mesothelioma "off-the-premises" case. He was with Pillsbury Madison & Sutro for 12 years after clerking in the San Francisco Superior Court Law and Motion Department for the honorable Lucy Kelly McCabe and the honorable Raymond Williamson. Marte has an extensive background in real estate litigation—both commercial and residential. Since 2004 Marte has been recognized on multiple occasions as a Northern California Super Lawyer and a Top Northern California Litigation Attorney. He heads the firm’s Toxic Tort Asbestos Group and the Law & Motion Editing Department. As a result of Marte's excellent work for Parker Hannifin, the firm was named a 2013 ALM Go-To Law Firm at the Top 500 Companies® for Tort Litigation.
Marte is a third-generation San Franciscan who attended Saint Ignatius College Preparatory and San Francisco State University, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics. He received his J.D. with highest honors from Golden Gate University in 1987. He was a writer and editor on the law review and earned the American Jurisprudence awards for Evidence, Real Property, and Ethics. He also served as a writer and regional editor for Harris Martin's Publication Columns.
- Product Liability
- Toxic Tort
- California, 1987
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- J.D. - 1987
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: With High Honors
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards for Evidence, Real Property, and Ethics
- San Francisco State University, San Francisco, California
- B.A. - 1974
- Major: Mathematics
- Recognized as a Northern California Super Lawyer in Personal Injury Defense and Business Litigation, 2004
- San Francisco Superior Court Law, Clerk
- Motion Department for the Honorable Lucy Kelly McCabe and the Honorable Raymond Williamson, Clerk